Monday, August 10, 2009

Smoke is in the air

I found them...
Looks like fire season has finally heated up and I'm getting lots of requests. This won't be a banner year for acres mapped, but I'll end up mapping plenty of fires. The really big fires this year are in Alaska (multiple 100k+ fires, in fact I counted 7 fires that have burned > 100k acres plus a few more in the 80 - 90k range). We even had a 45,000 acre fire just west of Salt Lake City last week that I've been asked to map, which I'll do as soon as the skies clear up and we snap a picture of the burn scar with a satellite.

The weird thing is that fires are still burning in the Southwest. Their fire season usually runs from April - July 4, which is when the monsoon season starts. Well, they had a very short monsoon season this year and my contacts down there are reporting things have dried up again and are burning.

I also got a request to map a fire in North Carolina called the Carolina Bay Fire. It burned about 2,000 acres right on the coast near the Havelock, NC. It's nice to map a fire somewhere besides the west, too!

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Good, I'm glad that you're not just sitting around playing solitaire anymore...! Just kidding, I know you are SUPER busy!

The Duke said...

I wondered when it was going to start. There are lots (!) of dead pine on the north slope of Mt. Loafer. Does that increase the chance of fire or do live trees burn better? It makes me a little nervous.
The mess in the sky last week - was that from smoke? I thought it was from dust from the bad winds we had. Maybe that was from the fire west of SLC?