Monday, June 29, 2009

Where are you, fires?

It's been quiet on the wildfire front. Historically, Arizona and New Mexico are the areas I map fires in first. They burn between May and July 4, when the monsoon season typically starts. Well, July 4 is this weekend and I've mapped 3 fires in AZ and NM, and only 1 was an actual wildfire where they did emergency rehab. The other two were wildland fire use fires I mapped as favors for people. The only other fire I've mapped was Jesusita, just outside Santa Barbara.

Last year at this time, Northern California was a-blazin'. Remember the June 20 storm? They had 1,200 fires burning at once. There are three nationwide right now. Luckily, I have plenty of other work to keep me busy.

2 comments:

The Duke said...

Maybe it's because there was so much rain for so long that things haven't begun to dry out yet. The lightning we've had hasn't been those "dry lightning" storms we usually get. I think the fires are yet to come - lots of extra grass this year as well. Let's hope not.

Papa Doc said...

The numbers you gave, 1200 versus 3, are really an amazing thing. That is more that just a difference, it is an amazing difference.

But what will hot dry July and August bring. Get ready.

Dad Clark