Friday, June 20, 2008

It's starting

It looks like things are beginning to heat up. It's been a nice slow spring and early summer (it is the first day of summer today). But I had three fires imaged today and will have to map this weekend:

Indians (Monterey, California)
Corn Creek (Escalante, UT)
Whiskey (Mendicino NF in Northern California)

I have already mapped Indians once but it's probably doubled since I mapped it last Saturday night. I'm not sure why the satellite orbits are such that I've had to work two weekends in a row...

I'm also using AWiFS for the first time this year. I think I'll try to use it a lot more because I've got to wean myself from my Landsat dependencies.

3 comments:

Ezra said...

I like the new header pic...or maybe it's old. I only get to see it if I comment since I read your blog in my reader.

Have you heard much about the new landsat bird?

Jess and Jen said...

New and Landsat: two words I didn't think I'd ever see together. Latest I've heard is 2011, but who knows. We need to be better versed in other sensors that provide what we need: moderate resolution, high spectral resolution (longer SWIR band aka Landsat band 7), low cost, and large spatial extent. Landsat really is the best sensor for my current job.

The pic is from a trip to the Boundary Waters last summer. This was in the Ham Lake burn scar. It was tremendous to see what a moderate severity fire doesn't do to a landscape. The recovery was incredible.

Ezra said...

It's funny how the needs differ. Two words that I've never seen together - moderate and resolution. Everyone around here is high, high, and higher resolution. I guess that comes with being a defense contractor.

We'll have to talk more about the boundary waters. My Dad just informed me this past week that he is taking his boys on a week long canoeing trip to the boundary water. Pretty excited.