Saturday, November 21, 2009

Going East Again

I'm trying to decide whether to continue this blog or not. The problem is that I don't blog from work and that's when I typically have something to say about work! Fire season in the United States is over so I'm not actively supporting those fellas. This year was relatively slow; I mapped 63 fires (average is 66) that burned about 582k acres (average is well over a million). I was super busy for about a month and a half but other than that, I was able to focus on other things at work.

I am traveling (my seventh trip this year) to Savannah, GA, the week after Thanksgiving to attend the Assoc. of Fire Ecology conference. This is usually a good conference, but the timing and cost is pretty ridiculous. The conference is hosting workshops the first day, Monday, Nov. 29. We, meaning the MTBS folks, decided to teach a course on how to use MTBS data as one of these workshops. That's fine and all, but that means we have to be ready to start Monday morning at 8am. In Georgia. That means we have to travel across the country with a stop in Atlanta (busiest airport in the world) the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm flying out next Saturday just to be sure we don't have travel problems. Preparing for this workshop has been long and tiring with a lot of course material creation and testing. I'll be happy when this is over.

I do like this time of year at work, though, because the office gets quiet and it's easy to get lots of work done.

No comments: