Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fire #1 = Mapped

I mapped my first wildfire of the season last week! I haven't mapped a fire for BAER support since November, so it was a nice break from what I've been doing. The fire I mapped was called the Hog Fire and it burned about 17,000 acres on the Coronado NF. This fire burned in the area where Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico all meet. It's way down there.

This fire gave me a good chance to run through my automation and model updates I've made this offseason. The biggest change from last year is that the Landsat data is now being delivered differently from USGS-EROS. They used to provide all their Landsat data in NLAPS format, projected in USGS Albers. They've shifted over to LPGS format, projected in UTM WGS84. I'm making processing changes as well as naming convention changes, which has a cascading effect down the line.

Everything went well and I can now say I've officially started my fire season.

I have three trips planned so far this year: Atlanta in April, Denver in May, and Savannah, Georgia in December. Atlanta and Denver are just over-nighter's where I'm speaking at BAER meetings. Savannah is a International Association of Wildland Fire conference and I'm participating in an MTBS workshop. I've never been to Atlanta or Savannah, so I've got some fun things to look forward to.

No comments: