Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wow, an update

Ah, it's been over two months since my last post. Work and life have been busy!

Two things:
1. I will not be mapping the Australia wildfires. The Forest Service did get contacted about sending BAER teams to Australia to make an assessment, but the US Dept. of Interior it taking the lead on the mapping side of things this time. I have no problem with that as I took the lead on mapping the Greek wildfires during 2007. It's good to spread the wealth!

2. I'm currently on travel (that's when I seem to blog here...) in Cloquet, Minnesota. The Superior National Forest is hosting a symposium called "The Future of Fire and Wind in Northern Minnesota Forests." Due to my mapping efforts and visit to the Boundary Waters, the Superior NF invited us to speak at the symposium. Because it's February, and because the meeting is in Northern Minnesota, my boss elected to send me to give the talk. I actually really enjoyed preparing for this talk because the mapping and analysis was very interesting. I was comparing burn severities between prescribed fires and wildfires up in the Boundary Waters. Then I analyzed the impact the prescribed fires had on the severity and extent of the wildfires. It was good to see that interaction. FYI, the prescribed fires did indeed limit the spread and severity of a few of the wildfires in the area.

I arrived here yesterday and am flying home tomorrow. Quick trip...the best kind!

1 comment:

Jess and Jen said...

Your last sentence was the best (because of the content, but the ... and ! were great too)!

Good luck today!